Before installing Framework manager, you will need the following.
1. A Windows box to install framework manager. IT is NOT supported on other operating systems.
2. Necessary ODBC data sources or Database client software installed on the Windows system. You can't use JDBC type-4 drivers.
Installation and Configuration
Installing Framework manager is pretty straight-forward. The installation media contains a separate folder named "CognosModeling". You basically run the issetup.exe from win32 subdirectory to install it. However, you need to perform couple of easy post install configurations to get the product to work. The steps are given below.
1. Bring up the Cognos Configuration under Programs->IBM Cognos 8->IBM Cognos Configuration. Note: There is another "IBM Cognos Configuration" under Tivoli Common Reporting. Do not make changes to it as it will break the TCR product.
2. Select the Environment Group under Local Configuration.
3. Change the Gateway URI property to https://<tcrserver>:16316/tarf/servlet/component
4. Change the "Dispatcher URI for external applications" to http://<tcrserver>:16315/tarf/servlet/dispatch
5. Again the above values for default TCR installation (assuming 16316 is HTTPS and 16315 is HTTP). You can double check by bringing up the "IBM Cognos Configuration" under Tivoli Common Reporting and comparing the property values for "Gateway URI" & "External dispatcher URI" with the above values.
Once you configured these values, you should be able to bring up Framework Manager, create a new project and signin with your TIP id (e.g. tipadmin) to create your custom data model.
Hope this helps.